Saturday 12 April 2008

¡Dios mío! A week in Spain

I am certainly, truly, absolutely, positively, definitely and without doubt the luckiest girl on this spinning orb.



Mr Finch took me on holiday last week to Spain. We stayed in his mums apartment in Calahonda. It was on the Costa del Sol so, granted, we ran into more tourists than locals but it was still lovely and we managed to search out some real rural Spain.

It was an amazing holiday and I didn't really want to have to come back home.
We went to the beach and got beautiful, bronze tans.. (well, okay, so I went red as a lobster...).
We enjoyed rainy days running from shelter to shelter in the city of Fuengirola. This is where I was allowed to go shopping. Yay.
We used solely public transport - the buses and trains were cheap as chips! - and managed to find our way around all by ourselves.
We tried in vain to find a tapas bar to no avail but settled with a paella which was yum yum.

I think Mijas was my favourite day. It was a small town up in the mountains and it was wonderfully Spanish. The streets were cobbled and enclosed by flat, white houses where little Spanish ladies were hanging washing from their window sills. There was a tiny Church that we ventured into (how cultured) and there was even a bull ring. We went into the bull ring for a tour, excited to be able to explore the location of such a prodigious Spanish tradition. It was sad though, how quickly our smiles faded when we saw the blood stains in the sand and the sight of the little bull looking out at us from over his gate. Bull-fighting is strange.


Torro torro!

Another brilliant day was our beach trip. I love beach trips and this one was especially perfect. We took sandwiches and cans of coke in our little cool box so lunch was sorted. Bat and ball was a fabulous form of entertainment. We managed 13 hits without dropping it! And we even got some Spanish little'uns involved! Cowboy decided to throw himself into the sea, which must have been below freezing. He also found me a shell and taught me to skim stones. AND bought me an ice cream! He is amazing.

All week I was treated like a princess and I was a little spoilt I must admit. I was bought souvenirs, cooked dinner and my every wish was granted! Thank you to my cowboy.

I love holidays.

No comments: